Wind Engineering Manager
One of the largest renewable independent power producer; Operates in 20 Asian offices, employing over 400 professionals including 100 engineers and local development professionals.
Across the Asia-Pacific region, the portfolio comprises 185 assets over 11 GW in operation, under construction and in development in Australia, Japan, India, Indonesia, the Philippines, Taiwan and Thailand. Part of Global Infrastructure Partners, which has over $51 billion under management, mostly in infrastructure assets within the energy, transport and water/waste sectors.
Manage wind turbine related engineering for utility-scale wind power projects in Japan, and across Asia-Pacific.
Reporting to the Regional Head of Wind Power, the position will be based in Tokyo, Japan and involve travelling to onshore and offshore wind power plants across the region.
• Lead project-specific selection and approval of wind turbines following consideration of design evolution, site conditions, certification, logistics, performance, maintainability and reliability.
• Manage turbine due diligence for new projects and advise development and engineering teams in relation to wind resource assessment, energy yield estimation, grid code compliance and environmental impacts.
• Identify, implement and demonstrate opportunities for performance improvement on operational wind farms including power performance, availability, power quality, noise emissions and life-extension.
• Evaluation of new turbine technologies from a life-cycle management perspective, assisting the operations team in establishing standard operating procedures and liaising with third-party service providers.
• Identify and develop new technology programs including technology partners.
• Support the construction and operations teams in the development and validation of special tools, devices, jigs and other solutions to reduce the need for crane mobilization and other sources of downtime.
• Support the development team in framing appropriate wind turbine and SCADA contract terms (ie. warranties, guarantees, specifications, and other requirements).
• Support the operations team in assessing performance improvement options, retrofits and design changes as and when offered by OEM’s.
• Identification of repair centers and providers for key components such as generators, gearboxes, blades, converters etc., and assessment of provisions for wind turbine spares.
To be considered you hold minimum Masters or Bachelor Degree in Mechanical, Electrical or Structural Engineering (specialization in renewables preferred) and having 10-15 years’ work experience in renewable energy engineering. Hands-on wind turbine engineering, power transmission and / or structural engineering and certification are advantageous. Understanding of turbine design parameters and performance. Familiarity with wind turbine design software, SCADA, condition monitoring etc. Strong organizational, networking, leadership, time management skills.