Head of Business Development – Legal
|Working in a fast-paced and dynamic environment, the leader in this role will improve and expand the business development and marketing activities of the oldest and one of the largest and established international law firms in the Middle East. The position is based in Dubai and supervises a team responsible for delivering all elements of the Business Development and Marketing mix for the wider region (GCC). The role centres not just on team management but in leading on best practice in terms of campaigns and products and marketing operations. It may be that you will also be asked to account manage a client relationship as well as lead on strategic proposals.|
You will report to the Director of Business Development (UKIME) and the Middle East Managing Partner, and work closely with the broader UK, Ireland and Middle East regional management as well as your team and key administrative staff.
- Support delivery of Middle East strategy and implementation plan, working with the Director of BD (UKMEA) and regional management to ensure the firm’s core service lines are driven through all groups/offices.
- Actively engage with regional leadership and key partners/lawyers to maximise local/regional/global client and business opportunities, irrespective of practices/sectors.
- Manage, coach and lead a committed team of seven (based around the region and in Warsaw) providing supervision/ allocation of work and delegation of work where necessary.
- Promote/coach regional groups on best practice across the full spectrum of Business Development and Marketing, including but not limited to Proposals, Client Development, Campaigns, Website, Events, Directory Submissions, social media/PR, Brand Materials, Market Intelligence and CRM.
- Work closely with your team to help them to manage workflow and prioritise the implementation of business and marketing plans for the different groups they cover and the day-to-day challenges and opportunities arising from being part of the world’s biggest law firm.
- Develop and execute comprehensive campaigns prioritising, client meetings and revenue-generating pursuits as part of our continued brand building.
- Working with the other Heads of in the UK and Middle East region as well as the MBD Director to implement improvements to marketing operations and infrastructure including the team’s reporting to the firm’s Executive Management.
- Leading major proposals which may be regional or global and working with the proposals team on major bids which involve the Middle East.
- Pro-actively manage budget for Business Development and Marketing activity/expenses.
- Lead/assist the regional team to identify relevant topics to form the basis of thought leadership and sector/service line specific campaigns.
- Other duties as assigned to fully meet the requirements of the position.
|Required experience, skills and attributes|
- Strong management and leadership skills demonstrated across a sizeable function. Proven track record of building and managing effective teams.
- Advanced BD experience working in a professional services/partnership environment, ideally already at ‘Head of’ level – legal experience an advantage but not essential.
- Experience of working with Partners and BD teams to drive best practice and develop and implement business and marketing plans.
- A background that has included management of major proposals.
- Credibility – authoritative, know your subject and confidence in front of both individuals and large groups.
- Experience of product development and measurably successful campaigns.
- Experience of driving through change in a challenging environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to interact positively at all levels within the firm and a good team player.
- Able to exercise tact and diplomacy in an organisational setting.
- Methodical approach to work, with a strong focus on accuracy and quality. Understands the need for documentation and well-defined procedures.
- Strong track record of revenue and meeting generation.
- Client account management skills.
- Appreciation of modern data-driven and digital marketing and business development.
- Able to work under pressure to tight project deadlines and can adapt to differing demands, with the ability to multi-task and prioritise assigned workload.
- Able to make decisions and remain calm when dealing with difficult situations.
- Strong commercial focus – able to demonstrate excellent client/customer facing skills.
- Can carry out all responsibilities in a way which supports the practice’s values and promotes its equal opportunities and diversity principles.
- CIM qualification or other marketing qualification would be desirable.
- Able to travel to regional offices.
Please reach out email@example.com to arrange for a confidential conversation about this position.